Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Spurs 113 Heat 77: Game 3 Recap

The San Antonio Spurs proved me wrong. I’ll be the first to say it, I didn’t expect them to come out firing, and I definitely didn’t expect Danny Green and Gary Neal to have career nights.

The two shooting guards scored a combine 51 points, and made a total of 13 threes to help their team destroy the Heat 113-77. I mean, this was a butt whooping from the start. Throughout the entire game, it looked as if the Spurs were in complete control, just like the Heat were in game 2. LeBron played solid defense, and the Heat came out playing aggressively, but Parker and Duncan didn’t falter like they did Sunday, and only turned over the ball 12 times, holding the Heat to 11 fast break points.

The MVP of last night’s game has to be Danny Green. I mean, the guy went off: 27 pts on 9-15 shooting, and 7-9 from three. This is the same guy who shot 6-6 two nights earlier. Danny Green is making $4 million this season, and he made LeBron, Bosh, and Wade look like overpaid fools. Green was hitting threes almost 3-4 feet off the line. It almost looked like every shot he put in the air was a sure fire jumper (basically, it was).

No Miami Heat player was able to contain him. Knick fans all know that in order to beat the Heat, the three point shooters needed to go off, because the Heat play poor perimeter defense. That was surely the case tonight, with Parker and Ginobili passing a total 14 assists.

Now, LeBron James, the king of the court, the beast of the southern wild, the man of steel, the avatar in a red jersey…played no better than Carmelo Anthony on a bad night. LeBron said after the game, “I gotta do more, I gotta be better.” He is exactly right. After shooting an abysmal 7-21 and only dishing out 5 assists, the 2013 MVP had an NBA finals night Michael Jordan never conceived of, in a bad way. MJ would never score less than 20 in the finals (I don’t think he has, but I’ll get back to you). I know Kobe never played that poorly on this stage. San Antonio is a tough place to play, but this is the NBA Finals! You can’t be saying that you gotta do more, you just gotta do more!

Ok, I’m done yelling at LeBron, I know the media is on his case and he doesn’t need be chirping on about how terrible he played. I give credit to Kawhi for shutting him down. My biggest qualm with any Heat player not named LeBron is someone you wouldn’t expect. Not Bosh surprisingly, and not Wade, but Chalmers. The big three played like a small three, but they did decide to show up and compete. I cannot say the same for their “reliable” point guard. In Chalmers’ 20 minutes, he was able to shoot 0-5 with 0 points and 4 turnovers. Spoelstra then asked Norris Cole to step in, who shot 3-8 with 3 turnovers. In order to win a basketball game, the team point guards must take of the basketball. Chalmers, who was the leading scorer of Game 2, played the worst basketball of anyone on the court last night, and I expect his play to remain in the dumpster for the rest of this uncomfortable road trip.


Popovich knows how to get the best out of his guys, and he certainly did that tonight. My only question is, can they continue their hot shooting streak and take 2 more games from the Heat before going back to Miami? I think they can take 1, but only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment